Welcome to the SatNOGS community! Here you can find all the info needed to get you started.
Who are you?
- Radio Amateur: Most members of SatNOGS community are radio amateur operators licensed in may different countries around the world.
- Space enthusiast: You love space and space data? SatNOGS is just the project for you! There are many learning opportunities around our community, and you can start easily with accessible projects, while you gradually become a space expert!
- Satellite operator: You have your own satellite project? That's awesome! Many SatNOGS ground stations are built by satellite operators to gain extended access on their satellite telemetry and use the stations for telecommand and control.
STEP 1: Join the community
First things first: make sure to get connected with fellow SatNOG-ers!
- Sign up for our newsletter.
- Join the community forums and announce yourself.
- Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
- Join our live discussions over at IRC #satnogs on the Freenode network, or via the Matrix #satnogs room.
STEP 2: Choose and deploy your ground station
Learn about the different options for ground stations and software, and create your station.
STEP 3: Create an account on Network
SatNOGS runs a network instance at https://network.satnogs.org. It's used to operate various ground stations around the world, but it's also the right place for you to test your ground station. Sign up for an account. Once you've verified your email address, log in and create a ground station entry and an API key. (Save the API key -- you'll need that when you install the SatNOGS client.
(And if you notice any bugs along the way -- please let us know!)
STEP 4: Test your setup
In this step, you will install the SatNOGS client (if you haven't already), and ensure that it can connect to the Network. Once that's done, you can schedule your first observation.
STEP 5: Move your station out of testing
Once you feel confident with your observations, post your successful observations to the community. When you feel ready and feedback from the community is positive, edit your station in Network and remove the "Testing" flag from it! Now continue scheduling observations!
STEP +: Consider wider contributions
There are many ways to contribute to the SatNOGS project: